I've had a funny few days craft-wise. After finishing my fabric baskets, I wasn't really sure what I was going to make next. I think I just needed some time to wind down from all the frantic sewing I've been doing lately, so I took some time to have a leisurely leaf through some craft books, browse some blogs etc. I was still unsure of what my next project would be.
I met up with my 'sewing friend' Julie yesterday and she showed me some amazing freestyle embroidery she had done (I'm not even sure if that's a term, but that's what it should definitely be called!). She just doodles in her notebook and takes it from there...and sometimes there's not even a notebook, she just puts needle to fabric and sees where it ends up. Drop by her new blog and have a look at some of the things she came up with, they're amazing.
While I'm no artist, I did quite fancy having a go at some embroidery so I found a couple of images I thought would look good as embroidered motifs, I traced them onto my fabric with a disappearing ink pen and set to work. The first one I did was of an old-fashioned sewing machine (I found the image online), I love how it turned out -
Isn't it sweet? I thought I might make another version of the fabric basket, to hold all those spools of coloured threads that I seem to have accumulated - they always need to be on hand!
Next up I wanted to try a slightly different embroidery style so I opted for a pretty little flower -
I love the way this turned out too (excuse the fabric, I literally grabbed a scrap!). I'm not sure what I'll use this for, but it will add a very nice touch to whatever it adorns.
I seemed to be on a roll, today I finished both of these off and then wanted to make a little scented sachet for some scented beads I've had lying around for ages. I chose some pretty fabric from my Hideaway layer cake and made this little hanging sachet -
I used this pretty yellow gingham (also from Hideaway) for the back -
I loved these 2 fabrics so much that I wanted to make something else, and this is what I came up with -
A very sweet little needle book. I didn't use a specific pattern, I literally made it up as I went along, I quilted the outer jacket with one way diagonal lines. I wasn't sure what to use for a closure so I used the bias binding as ties.
And made a little ric-rac trimmed pocket to hold the essential needle threader/thread, along with 4 felt 'pages' to hold various needles/safety pins etc.
I'm really pleased with this and may make a few more to get my Folksy shop stocked up as I must admit, I have neglected it a little bit.
So there you have it, my rather productive if not eclectic, few days of sewing in various forms.
And if you're still here at the end of this lengthy post, then well done!