Just a quick post today - I just had to come and show off my first attempt at customising clothes. I've been thinking about doing some applique on t-shirts for my son for ages but for some reason I thought that sewing on t-shirt fabric was tricky. I took the plunge last week and bought some 'ball point' needles for my sewing machine and a pack of plain t-shirts to 'play' with.
I decided to use a template I already had to hand - an elephant from the applique elephant cushion I made for Mothers' Day. So I chose my fabrics and got to work with my template and some Bondaweb.
And ta-da! Here is the finished t-shirt -
Isn't it sweet? I thought the elephant on it's own looked like it needed 'something' so I added the water droplets. The elephant and his ear have satin stitch around them and the droplets just have a single line stitch just inside the edge of the fabric. I've also added a button for the eye.
My applique around the elephant isn't perfect but for my first attempt, I'm very pleased!
I'm really glad I found a tip over on Sew, Mama, Sew! where it suggests ironing fusible stabiliser to the back of the fabric where you'll be doing the applique. I didn't have fusible stabiliser however, so I just ironed some thin interfacing on and it held the t-shirt fabric together making it easier to sew onto.
I've got another t-shirt planned too - a personalised one! All cut out and ready to sew during tomorrow's nap-time.
Linkin' up to -