I wanted them to be 'randomly' placed, and of course this meant planning it very carefully so that no 2 patterns/fabrics were next to each other. (Although I have now realised I have a diagonal row of 3 blues!) Sewing the individual hexies into rows (of 9) didn't seem to take too long. But, sewing the rows together is quite time consuming. It does feel really good to see it all coming together though.
These hexagons will form a cushion front, I saw a great idea here to square them off and then frame them, so I'm going to frame mine with a cream calico fabric.
I reckon there's another couple of evenings work here but I might have to make up another row because I've just realised this will be 9 across but only 8 up and down the way! Each row is approx 16" so by the time I square my finished block off and frame it, it will cover an 18" cushion pad just perfectly. I will also add some quilting lines for added 'security' as I don't know how much I trust my hand sewing, especially as I actually plan on using this cushion as a cushion. (That is if I can bring myself to sit on it!)
In case anyone was wondering - this is what the back of the panel looks like -
A couple of the papers have fallen out (which made them a pain to sew together) but most remain intact.
I've seen some hexie progress where people sew them into a flower shape and then add to it, but I thought that rows would be easier.
So far, I've found this method pretty easy and this is how I'll do it in future. More hexie projects will definitely follow - some of you warned me they would become addictive, and you were certainly right :)
For now, I'll concentrate on getting this one finished.
Linkin' up to -