This elephant (above) is probably the neatest one in terms of the blanket stitch - it was the last one I did so I'd had plenty of practice by this time! I used 9 different fabrics - 1 elephant in each fabric (and the heart) and then also did an ear out of each fabric and then swapped the fabrics round so the fabric of the ear is different to the fabric of the body.
I used 3 different coloured threads for the appliques - pale yellow, green and orange. I appliqued the ear and body of each elephant in the same colour.
I appliqued the heart with white and added 4 buttons around it. I added a big square of thin wadding behind the cushion front as the pale yellow backing fabric is pretty thin and the wadding gives extra cushiony-ness. The buttons hold all these layers together (along with a backing layer behind the wadding).
For the eyes I used some metalic thread I had (it's a nightmare to sew with though so I don't use it too often or for any large amount of sewing).